If you have a lot of junk but not enough cash, then you need to find a way to sell it. However, this can be easier said than done. The way you go about it can make the difference in how much you are able to get and how soon you make money. Therefore, use the following tips and you’ll be able to turn your junk into cash in no time flat:
Make a List
The first thing to do is make a list in general. This should include everything that you own in the physical world. Even if you would never dream of selling it, you should write it down. Sometimes, it helps to walk through each room and take your time to note down what you see. The reason is, you are simply trying to get an inventory of what you own. Then, you are going to see if there are redundancies. For instance, if you have two extra lamps that you never use, those might be candidates for flipping to someone else for to save a little extra cash.
Use the 80/20 Rule
This next part is very important. However, it is also difficult for a lot people. You need to make a list of the 20 percent of items you would keep if you had to throw out the other 80 percent. Take your time with this part. Once you have that list, then you can try to sell everything that was not in that top 20 percent. It might feel hard, but it’s a way to clean out your life and gain extra income. So, stay strong.
Use Online Markets
With the internet, you don’t have to sell things at garage sales anymore. This is still possible, but it can take longer to flip your things. Instead, leverage the power of reaching everyone in your area that is looking to buy items. Get an account on Facebook, Craigslist, and other local markets online that service your area. The, begin taking great photos and posting each item. Make sure the descriptions are specific. You really want to put yourself in the mind of an advertiser here.
Everyone has a price they are willing to pay for your item. However, this price might be different than what you want for it. At the end of the day, your ability to get more money for your junk will come down to negotiating. You don’t need to act like a used car salesman. However, a few simple tricks will help you. First, price the item slightly higher than you are willing to sell it for. This gives you room to negotiate and let the buyer feel like they are getting a great deal. Secondly, always make a counter offer. A lot of times you can meet right in the middle.
If all else fails, do not give up hope. You can still make money from your things that you no longer use. Instead of selling them for a lot of money upfront, consider renting them. Some people may be willing to pay small sums of money per day or hour instead of one lump sum to buy it.